Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Architect Suzanne Berkey Reports: Greenbuild 2009 Sets the Bar

Greenbuild 2009 drew nearly 28,000 advocates for sustainability to the dessert city of Phoenix, Arizona, November 11-13. The annual conference was hosted within the recently awarded LEED Silver Convention Center located downtown, just steps away from the new light rail system. I used the light rail system the very first day I arrived to travel from Mill Street in Tempe, site of the University of Arizona, all the way downtown. Although the train car I entered contained many passengers, I managed to find a seat and found the system very user friendly. It provided me a different perspective of Phoenix and the surrounding metro area. I took the chartered bus every day to and from the Convention Center, used the recycling stations placed throughout the building, and ate the organic food prepared in mass quantity. Compared to other conferences held across the US, Greenbuild definitely sets a high bar for other's aspirations.

Overall, the conference was a success and I came back to Kansas City empowered and motivated to continue on the track of sustainability in my personal and professional life! In the Opening Keynote held at Chase Field, Al Gore quoted an old African Proverb that states, "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." He followed saying, "We have to go a long way, fast." Which means we have to work individually and together to reach our goals and sustain our existence on this Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment